Inland Marine Underwriter
Location: Pittsburgh, PA or Columbus, OH
Berkley Mid-Atlantic Group is a regional insurance operation offering commercial property casualty coverages in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Named one of the Best Places to Work in Insurance since 2010, our employee centric culture encourages open communication and facilitates outstanding career opportunities.
We currently have openings for Underwriters in the Capital Region Underwriting Services Department in our Richmond, VA office. If you enjoy working in a dynamic environment that rewards excellence and encourages entrepreneurial thinking, we’d like to hear from you!
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES OF POSITION
Evaluate (selection and pricing) and maintain (control) risk acceptability and profitability within the company’s underwriting guidelines and procedures for Inland Marine commercial risks. Manage and maintain good agency-company relationships. Meet and maintain the profitability and production standards established.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Four-year college degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of five years commercial underwriting and marketing experience, preferably working with large or complex property accounts.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and effectively prioritize.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products to include Word and Excel.
- Possess AU, AAI, CIC, CPCU, AMIM or other equivalent insurance designation.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Gather appropriate information to profitably underwrite a variety of commercial risks.
- Quote, price and underwrite new and renewal policies and endorsements.
- Monitor risk selection and pricing decisions for entire agency plant, both on a book of business and individual account level basis.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify concerns, evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- Conduct periodic agency reviews. Initiate, develop, coordinate and monitor agency action plans with Profit Center Underwriting AVP and AVP, Inland Marine Manager.
- Work with Risk Management Services, Claims and Territory Managers to optimize opportunities within assigned territory.
- Maintain established quality, service and profitability standards.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with key producers.
- Maintain a regular schedule of agency visitation. Assist agents in developing sales strategies and improving profitability.
- Provide direction to Underwriting Analyst or Underwriting Assistant as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.